Current:Home > StocksKevin Costner gets epic standing ovation for 'Horizon: An American Saga,' moved to tears -Infinite Edge Capital
Kevin Costner gets epic standing ovation for 'Horizon: An American Saga,' moved to tears
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 15:21:35
Kevin Costner got emotional during a prolonged standing ovation for his new film, "Horizon: An American Saga," at Cannes Film Festival.
The actor received a warm reception to his first directorial effort in 11 years at the festival on Sunday with the crowd chanting and clapping for between 7 and 11 minutes, which brought the 69-year-old to tears, as seen in video shared by Variety.
"I'm sorry you had to clap that long for me to understand that I should speak,” said Costner, according to the Huffington Post and People.
The film is the first part of four installments of Costner's upcoming Western "Horizon: An American Saga." The "Yellowstone" actor directs, produces, co-writes and stars in the film series.
"Such good people. Such a good moment, not just for me, but for the actors who came with me, for people who believed in me, who continued to work," Costner continued, according to the outlets. "It's a funny business, and I'm so glad I found it. There's no place like here.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
"I'll never forget this," he told the audience, including his kids in the front row. "Neither will my children."
After the screening, Costner posed with five of his seven children: Cayden Costner, 17, Lily Costner, 37, Grace Costner, 13, Hayes Costner, 15, and Annie Costner, 40.
Costner's last directing effort was 2003's "Open Range."
"Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 1" is set for a United States release on June 28. "Chapter 2," is set for Aug. 16.
The series was developed amid Costner's drama-filled role in the Paramount Network series "Yellowstone," in which he played patriarch John Dutton through the first half of Season 5.
Costner said he was open to returning to the Western drama despite his surprise exit after five seasons.
"I'd like to be able to do it but we haven't been able to," Costner told Entertainment Tonight last month of his hopes to return. "I thought I was going to make seven (seasons) but right now we're at five."
He added: "Maybe this will circle back to me. If it does and I feel really comfortable with (it), I'd love to do it."
The Oscar-winning actor spoke about his "Yellowstone" departure for the first time during a September child support hearing in Santa Barbara, California. The hearing stemmed from Costner's divorce from Christine Baumgartner, which was finalized in February.
Costner testified that a "long, hard-fought negotiation" over splitting Season 5 of the Western saga into two parts was the final straw forcing his decision to leave the Paramount Network series, according to People and Fox News.
The second half of Season 5 is expected to drop in November.
Contributing: Naledi Ushe
veryGood! (852)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- California shop owner killed over Pride flag was adamant she would never take it down, friend says
- Simon Cowell raves over 'AGT' mother-son fire stunt act, Howie Mandel says 'it's just wrong'
- The Fukushima nuclear plant’s wastewater will be discharged to the sea. Here’s what you need to know
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Colorado supermarket shooting suspect found competent to stand trial, prosecutors say
- Man arrested in kidnapping, death of Andrea Vasquez, 19, in Southern California
- Michigan resident wins $8.75 million from state's lottery
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Hawaii's economic toll from wildfires is up to $6 billion, Moody's estimates
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- North Korea conducts rocket launch in likely 2nd attempt to put spy satellite into orbit
- Philadelphia police officer who fatally shot man suspended after video contradicts initial account
- 'Barbie' rehearsal footage shows Ryan Gosling as Ken cracking up Greta Gerwig: Watch
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Body cam video shows police finding woman chained to bedroom floor in Louisville, Kentucky
- Watch the astonishing moment this dog predicts his owner is sick before she does
- Causeway: Part stock fund + part donor-advised fund = A new bid for young donors
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
More than 100,000 people have been evacuated over 3 weeks from flooding in Pakistan
FIBA World Cup starts Friday: How to watch, what to know
Trial for suspect in Idaho student stabbings postponed after right to speedy trial waived
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Rare clouded leopard kitten born at OKC Zoo: Meet the endangered baby who's 'eating, sleeping and growing'
Amputees can get their body parts back for spiritual reasons, new Oregon law says
New York Jets receiver Corey Davis, 28, announces retirement: 'Decision has not been easy'